This past Wednesday I attended another Farmer’s Market improvement group meeting. We are really looking at improving the overall atmosphere at the farmer’s market making it a welcoming experience. There are several projects we are working to get going by the time the market opens this spring.
These are some of the improvements we want to implement as soon as possible.
- Obtaining an EBT machine so we can begin to accept SNAP benefits at the market. This will help bring new customers to the market and also give SNAP recipients the chance to buy fresh local produce at the market instead of having to go to a grocery store where all of the produce comes from another state.
- Begin to let local artist and musicians come to the market. They would be able to play their music providing entertainment to the customers and the artist could do some of their art work there demonstrating their talents to others. We want to recognize local talents and help them become better known. We are hoping to also have members of the community come and big demonstrations on basket weaving and bead work.
- We are looking for new vendors that can bring a broader range of products to the market for the customer to choose from. We would like to see some artisan foods as well as vendors who can sell meats at the market.
- We are working on obtaining new signs that will help promote the farmer’s market.
- There is work being coordinated with the city of McAlester and the main street organization to help improve the landscape at the farmers market as well as improve the parking.
Our goal is to make the farmer’s market a destination that customers look forward to coming to on market days. The more community involvement we have to help with these improvements the better the Pittsburg County Farmer’s Market can be at providing a welcoming atmosphere for our customers and to help build a thriving market.